Thursday, February 28, 2013

Happy Birthday, Tucker!

I can write or talk about fostering and fostering all day long...I love it...I live it.  But when it comes to my own two, words escape me sometimes.  They mean more to me than anything or anyone has ever meant to me.  
Just less than two years ago (March 27), my world was forever changed.  My little blue eyed, black baby came home with me!  Tucker turned two on February 17, and it blows my mind that he has grown up so fast.
I brought home an itty bitty little fur ball.  He quickly turned in to a 75 pound, long legged, monster.  I'll admit, when I brought him home, I had NO idea what I was doing.  I had no idea I wouldn't get a full night's sleep until he was five months old.  I never knew about food allergies, or dog training, or separation anxiety.  And I DEFINITELY didn't know I would fall head over heels in love with a little boy who would never be able to say "I love you too, Mama."
But fall in love I did.  Tucker taught me to always look at the glass half full.  There's not much better in life than a fresh tennis ball or rawhide.  He'll never talk to me...but I know what he's thinking.  He has the most expressive face of any dog I've ever come in to contact with.  He's the biggest love on the planet, and all he wants to do is be close to his people.
He went to the vet for his one year check up in April, and passed with flying colors!  Other than some seasonal and food allergies, he's as healthy as can be!
As I've mentioned before, last July, we became a family of three.  I know it was hard on my boys, as it was hard on me.  Tucker assumed the roll of "man of the house", and wouldn't leave my side for months.  He had to sleep right next to me.  It was as though he was reassuring me, "it's going to be okay mama...we are going to be okay."  
Tucker got to help Grandpa with his deer last fall.  He was one proud guard dog!
In September, I ran my first 10K....I had the CUTEST training buddy!
Tucker got me in to rescue...I knew I wanted to give back, but didn't know how.  At the time I wasn't ready for another dog.  So I started fostering.  I had sent quite a few dogs on to their new lives, and Tucker was a huge part of that.  
Then Tucker and I failed, and we welcomed his little brother Ollie.  We fostered a couple dogs after Ollie adopted us.  He always seems to know just what each dog that he's fostering needs, whether it be cuddle time, play time, or space.  Tucker is such a great foster brother, an even better big brother, and my one and only heart dog.  
I had so much fun celebrating Tucker's birthday with my family!  He got a few toys and treats, and a huge bone from Michael!

 Tucker, you mean more to me than you will ever know and you have taught me so many things.  I love you to the moon and back!  Here's to many more years!


3 comments: