Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ollie's Adopt-a-Versary

Ollie didn't TECHNICALLY become a part of our family until April 30, but if you ask him, he was home from day one.  I brought him home to foster on April 15, 2012, and he was officially adopted a couple weeks later, after battling a horrible case of kennel cough/pneumonia, and weaseling his way in to my (and his brother's) hearts.  I wrote about how I foster failed last fall.  Six months later, I'm even MORE in love with this little monster than I was then.  I can't believe it's been a year since he entered our lives.

Ollie is one special dog.  I really didn't think I could possibly love another dog like I love Tucker.  Tucker completely stole my heart, and became my heart dog.  People tell me you can only have one true heart dog…but I’m here to tell you, that’s not true.  Ollie has officially become a heart dog and it’s for totally different reasons than Tucker.  I’m now understanding what my mom meant when she said I love you and your brother equally, but for different reasons.
Ollie is a fighter.  He came from unfathomable circumstances.  He was a total mess when he was seized for cruelty and neglect in Kansas City.  He was around 4 months old when he entered the shelter, and weighed what a 10 week old puppy should weigh.  At about 5 months old, when I started fostering him, he weighed only 14 pounds.  He was skin and bones.  He had patches of fur missing.  He had trouble breathing.  He didn’t want to eat or drink.  I really wondered at times if he would make it.  He, however, had different plans.
 Ollie is always happy.  No matter how bad it got, or how bad he felt, his little tail continued to wag.  He was scared of loud noises and wasn’t a fan of being around new people.  Ollie and I bonded so much in those first two weeks.  I was the first person he really trusted and whenever someone new came over, he hid behind me waiting for me to let him know it was okay to meet them.  Once he realized you weren’t going to hurt him, he would settle in for lots of pets and cuddle time.  Nowadays, I can't enter the house with out him screaming (literally) in delight.  He's always so excited to meet new people and is Mr. Social when we are at the dog park.  
He's a true Mama's boy.  Ollie is my shadow.  Wherever I go, he goes.  He starts out every night on his doggie bed on the floor.  At some point during the night, he jumps up (ninja style) and I end up with 75 pounds of dog sucked up next to me.  Once the alarm goes off, he covers my face in kisses.  I can't think of a better way to wake up.
His resilience is amazing.  It doesn't matter what is thrown at him, he faces it with a huge smile on his face and his little booty wiggling  all over the place.  His love for life is contagious, and it's impossible to not be happy when he's around.  His past could easily make him hate people or even hate the world, but he's put it in his past and never looked back.  


In celebration of his Adopt-a-Versary, here are some of Ollie's FAVORITE things:

1.  Chewables.
His Gotcha Day Pig Ear!
You lookin at me?!?
Yeah, I took Tucker's bone, too...so what?!?

2. Snuggles.
With Fosters....
Big Brother....
Or Mama...doesn't matter!

3. Being a Spokes-Doggy for Mama's Organization Doghousing.
Sitting pretty! "Doesn't this make you want to foster for my Mama?!?"
But sometimes he's a slacker and lays down on the job...
And after a long day, he falls asleep next to Gramps.  
Being a Spokes-Doggy is hard work!

4. Boating
"I like this boating thing, Mama!  Is it summer time, yet?!?"
Boating is hard work too!!!
*Note: No champagne was consumed by Ollie*

Ollie, words cannot express what you mean to me.  You're such an amazing, happy dog.  Tucker and I are so lucky to have you in our lives.  This first year has been more than I ever dreamed, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for us.  I love you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment